[AccessD] Windows 8

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Dec 3 18:23:04 CST 2011

I have to say that the hybrid disk I bought made an enormous difference with Windows 7 in my laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007605%2050001305&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=momentus%20xt&Page=1&PageSize=100

It adds a 4 gig "SSD" (flash) cache to store small files that are loaded often.  It takes several
times loading things but on the second or third pass suddenly stuff loads faster.

I bought one for my laptop and I was so pleased that I did the same for my wife's notebook.  It is
not the same experience as a full on SSD boot disk but very close.

On my WMC system downstairs I repurposed an old 30 gb SSD drive that simply wasn't big enough to
make the boot disk, and I put a 15 gb readyboost cache on it and put the swap file on the rest.
That too has made an enormous difference.

But for a notebook where you only have a single disk slot, try the seagate momentus.  It may give
the old laptop an addition couple of years.  I actually replaced my brand new laptop's 5400 rpm
drive with this thing and man what a difference.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it