[AccessD] Subversion repositories and server

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Dec 3 20:06:28 CST 2011

I use subversion here at my office.  I have to say I find it confusing and "just use it" without
really understanding it.

I am trying to set it up at my clients as I am about to start doing some VS 2010 / C# stuff there to
replace some less reliable Access stuff.  I want the repositories to reside on the server with all
of its raid and backup safety net.

Here at my office I use the file:// method of accessing the repository which the way I understand it
is nothing more than allowing VSN on the workstation to check in and out through a shared directory.

When I started research on Google I am getting "shared directories is a bad idea, use a server", but
I do not know how to do that.

I have set up the server simply by downloading the VisualSVN Server msi and installing it.  I
created a group and a user and ser my user into the group.  I then created two repositories for two
different projects and added the group to the project with R/W access and disabled the Everyone user.

My question is how do I get my workstation to use the server now?  I am using VS 2010, and it has
the VisualSVN package installed.  I just need to "hook up" the VisualSVN in my workstation to get
data from the repository server.  Onw would think that there would be a place to go to tell
VisualSVN in the workstation "your server is named XYZ" etc but I am not finding that.  The "Get
solution from Subversion" has a Repository URL line but it does not automatically look for and find
my repository and I have no clue what the URL is.

IMHO this is the shakiest part of using this stuff.  Any help is much appreciated.

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it