[AccessD] Users in SQL Server

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Dec 4 09:59:19 CST 2011

Several times now I have run into an issue where SQL Server does not have a pair of users I use for
my Access application called DiscoAdmin and DiscoApp.  The problem is that one of the the databases
that I am picking up on that server was already set up and has those users.  When I try to set those
users up in the server's security it tells me that "the server principal 'DiscoApp' already exists.
  Basically I am able to create the user but not assign rights  - db_reader, db_writer etc.

I have always been fuzzy about how this stuff works and I just need an explanation of why it won't
allow me to set these rights even though the user exists and the check boxes are enabled when I
select that database.  I just discovered that if I delete the user out in that database and then set
the rights through the user back in the server security stuff it happily accepts my changes and
re-adds the user to the database.  This just seems strange.  If I don't do this rigamarole then I
have a DiscoApp in the database with a set of rights for that database but when I look at it back at
the server level it does not reflect those rights for that user for that database.

Any assistance great fully accepted.
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it