[AccessD] Advice on A2010....

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Dec 9 10:41:59 CST 2011

Oh boy!  Yeah, the user has a very different perspective from the developer.

My township had an Excel spreadsheet for registered voters.  The state
developed a new standard and the spreadsheet had to be updated to
match.  Of course, in the township's spreadsheet the voter's name was
just one cell, with no standardization for data entry (my name, for
instance, could have been entered as "Tina Norris Fields," "Fields, Tina
N.," "Fields, Tina Norris," "Mr.s Tina Fields," and any other
configurations you can think of).  So, I was asked to help.  When it got
to the field for a name suffix, such as "Jr.," "Sr.," "III," "Esq." and
the like, the office assistant actually said to me, "No, we don't have
to worry about that, there aren't that many of them."  It had never
dawned on her that the field would be required if there was even one
person with a name suffix.

I get it that our different perspectives color the way we see the
problem.  I just haven't figured out how to properly anticipate the
user's likely take on it.  :-)

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields at torchlake.com
231-322-2787