[AccessD] Controlling an Access 2007 EIS Application via RealVNC on the iPad - almost as good as Angry Birds

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Fri Dec 9 13:25:17 CST 2011

All,

I have built an Executive Information System (reports, graphs, gauges,
etc.)
with Access 2007 that runs on a remote server.  Most of the data comes
from
a SQL Server database.  The remote server has the "server component" of
remote control product called RealVNC.

Last week I learned that there was a $5.00 RealVNC "Client" component
available for the iPad.  (I believe that the "Server" component
is about $50.00)

You folks may already being using this kind of stuff, but this was a new

adventure for me.

Picture this... sitting in the living room at night, feet up on the
recliner, beer in one hand,  "Dancing with the Stars" on TV, fireplace
is
stoked up (Minnesota), pretending to be carrying on a conversation with
my
wife, but really controlling the EIS Access application on the iPad.  As
we used to say in
the 1960's "Wow... far out - this is a whole bunch of groovey".  I guess
the
younger generation would say something like "This Rocks".

Anyway, being able to use this application on the iPad (and future
iPhone)
opens up all kinds of new possibilities.   Admittedly this isn't the
ticket
for an application that demands a ton of data entry, but for an inquiry
system, it seems pretty cool.

The only problem is that we may now need to get a second iPad as my
wife,
kids, and two grandkids are pretty hooked on Angry Birds  :-)

Brad