[AccessD] Advice on A2010....

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:46:02 CST 2011

> William Benson:
> If rebuilding the form completely, why doesn't copying the controls to a
> new
> form and renaming the form suffice?

Because you also have to manually duplicate all of the form properties,
which don't copy over automatically.

For example, if your form allows datasheets, all the column width settings
will be reset to their defaults.

Further, the copy-and-paste approach can mess up subtle things like display
order, so controls that show up on the original won't be visible on the
copy.

Thus, if all you need to do is reset the count, I recommend my method,
because the whole form gets copied, leaving no surprises.

Charlotte Foust:
> You avoid that issue entirely if you name all your controls in the first
> place.

Giving controls meaningful names is best practice. But that doesn't reset
the counter.

Try modifying Jim's code to give each control a non-default name before the
next is created. The limit didn't change for me.

-Ken