[AccessD] My Excel project...you won't believe this one

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Thu Dec 22 21:10:07 CST 2011

Yes, rounding was the oil company problem as well.

In short the Aussie HO used to look after all the deliveries to all the piddly little Pacific Islands (right out to Guam etc).  A lot of these places would only want less than 500,000 BOE delivered each time the ship showed up.

Say Island X wanted 250,000 K of BOE this month.

In the Spreadsheet used to track all this stuff the girl would key in 250,000 BOE but the workbook was rounded to display millions of BOE as the minimum display (fair enough I guess as most places do use millions and millions of BOE).

Anyway, as expected the 250K would show as Zero in the workbook.  Of course whilst the data was in XL the reports would still calculate correctly as the underlying value was indeed 250K, even though it was displayed as zero.

But of course they used SAP for their accounting and control.  So what happened was the girl would print out her Spreadsheet, send it to another dept who would then (re)key the data into SAP.  Suddenly all those little oil deliveries were being entered as Zeros, not their real amounts.

BAM! Big problem as millions of BOE started to vanish from the system.

Easy enough to fix once I tracked down where the problem was (I ended up showing them how push the data from XL directly into SAP without all the printing, internal mail and rekeying business and also modded the format to show a different format if the zero value was not a true zero.

Rounding and formats.  Approach with some caution I say.

Cheers
Darryl.