[AccessD] Migrate to SQL Server

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Fri Dec 23 10:47:40 CST 2011

Hi John,

Honestly, I've used SSMA for Access and it was a little funky.  I recently
just used the upsizing wizard in Access and that went fine with one strong
caveat.  I purchased an app named Must for upsizing, and it's better than
using the upsizing wizard in Access - for me it pinpointed a bad date in a
date field which prevented upsizing in Access.  Must does have a little
learning curve so go through that for an hour or so and you'll like it.

You should upsize Indexes, Validation Rules, Defaults, but do not upsize
relationships between tables.  This will give you Triggers and Constraints
which will be intended to duplicate the functionality of a relationship.
That works, but in Diagrams on SQL Server you can create any number of
different table relationship diagrams.  But when you create the diagrams,
you've now duplicated the table relationship functionality with the upsized
Triggers and Constraints.  SQL Server has good screens for creating both
indexes and table relationships, and you should use those.

Also, do add timestamp fields - these will allow 'edited record'
functionality to work in SQL Server.

HTH,
Dan