[AccessD] Copy and execute from Access

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 11:01:16 CST 2011

This thread would appear to me to be about a subject addressed by my good
friend Dejan Sunderic, in his books about SQL Server, which contained a
chapter about inheriting databases. At the time it was a very novel idea,
even though at that time I was well-acquainted with O-O software. Building
on Dejan's lead, I investigated remodeling the modeldb database, and
including a number of oft-used databases, and this has worked even better
than I expected.

In SQL Server, the core model is called modeldb. What I ended up doing was
creating several different versions of this db, with names such as
modeldb_OE (order entry), modeldb_COA (chart of accounts), etc. -- each
based on modeldb but adding the tables of interest, so that simply by
renaming a couple of dbs and then issuing a Create New I had a whole bunch
of the core tables (transactions and lookups) instantly installed and
populated and ready to go.

Perhaps not an ideal solution, but it has worked for me. When doing an
Access db, I do it manually, importing tables and forms and queries from
databases whose content is isolated (e.g. Geography.mdb,
CustomersAndOrders.mdb, COA.mdb), but the key to making this work
coherently is precisely named, consistent columns in all the dbs -- it is
always called CustomerID, OrderID, OrderDetailsID, ProductID, CategoryID,
SupplierID, etc., and that never changes; may not need all of them, but
it's all predefined in the inheritable databases and it's always
consistent; that's the big trick).

I haven't automated this, as JC wants his solution to work. If I'm
"inheriting" from one Access db, say "CustomersAndOrders", it's incumbent
upon me to remember to "inherit" all the tables and relevant queries and
forms, and occasionally, modules. But force of habit causes few mistakes,
and upon discovery of one, it's pretty easy to return and grab the missing
object.

Anyway, Happy New Year to everyone on this list!
Arthur