[AccessD] Running Access XP ade With Access 10 and SQL2008 upgrade

Bill Patten bill_patten at embarqmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:54:59 CST 2011

?David,
I don't know if this will help as I do not have Access XP any more, I do
however have an adp Access2003 and did the  following tests.
Created and ADE
restored a Sql  Server 2000 backup into a 2008 Sql Server
Opened a Win7 32 bit VM with Office 2010 installed in it
Opened the 2003 ADE with 2010 and used my built in change SQL Server routine
to connect to the 2008 Server. My program then prompted me for the database
update to the latest version.
I pointed my update routine to the correct .Sql file and it updated the
server correctly, this is good that means some things are working OK.
I opened a few forms and made a few entries and everything seemed to work
with one exception.
My automatic throw away the ribbon and use the old Office menus did not
work. I suspect this is because it is an ADE and can't make the changes to
the program. Selecting Add-ins does show the Office Menus but on top of the
ribbon.

I don't use ADE's any more, but lock down the ADP as much as possible to
keep users out. If they get in and screw it up then they can pay me to fix
it.

The good news is 2010 did open a 2003 ade and didn't complain, obviously
more testing is needed but at least on the surface it appears to work.

By the way, there are some free Office 2010 downloads available, I think
good for 30 days or so and if you have any Virtual machines or spare tests
machines you can easily do some testing without screwing up you development
system.

HTH

Bill