[AccessD] "Next Big Technology Things" - Was:RE: From a reader

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Fri Feb 11 08:35:00 CST 2011

Hi Gustav --

Thank you for your note.

Shouldn't we move this discussion thread to dba-vb?

No, I'm not fiddling with semi-boiled frameworks (I hope) - I'm mainly
trying to find and "keep my eyes open" on the "next big" technology things I
should be aware of. And Jim has already found them AFAIS.
And that "next big technologies things" I'm (mainly) watching not yet using
in my everyday real work or test projects should be generally accepted not
only by MS shops...
Then I will wait as much as possible until MS will make this "next big
technology things" mature enough to use in real life applications.
And that "next big technology things" for me currently are:

- JavaScript (+jQuery) (yes, it's an "old thing" but MS started to support
jQuery not that long ago);
- RESTFul services + JSON (WCF + .NET Framework support them naturally);
- HTML5 (IE9 and FireFox7(?));
- ADO.NET EF;
- Silverlight and Windows Phone 7;
- Azure.

Did I miss some?

<<<
 For my part, just trying to get up to speed with Visual Studio 2010 and
Silverlight
and EF and (still) some Access and ... can keep me more than busy.

Yes, I'm "more than busy" here too...

...if I've had time to learn PERL (or Python or Ruby) I'd probably leave
just:

- 1) VS20xx + C# + MS Access + MS SQL - for desktop development;
- 2) PERL (Python(?)/Ruby(?))+ HTML(5) + CSS + JavaScrip(jQuery)t + mySQL/MS
SQL + a partnership with advanced web designer - for "classical" web
development.
- 3) Silverlight for Windows Pnone 7 development

Thank you.

--
Shamil

P.S. BTW here is QCon short announcement for this year London conference -
you can find that my "next big technology things" list is mainly covered by
QCon list. And I will have to skip all the other subjects or just glance
them - no time at all:

- Enterprise Agile Transformation - Teams, Learning, Contracts &
Collaboration;
- Lean and Kanban: Learning Through Systems Thinking - Kanban at BBC, Design
Thinking, Complexity vs. Lean, System Design;
- Building Systems with REST - REST at BestBuy, Hypermedia-driven apps &
integration, REST in .NET;
- Architectures You've Always Wondered About - Facebook, Twitter, Netflix,
OnLive, Visa;
- When Things Break - "Let it crash", operating during Failure, Continuous
Deployment, Unreliable Components;
- Software Architecture Improvements - Architecture Refactoring,
Re-engingeering, Erosion, Arch Assessment;
- Design and Objects 2011 - OO at Facebook, OO at Government, Onion Design, OO in
Java, Event-driven design;
- Next-Generation Financial Technology- Futures Trade Flow, Millisecond
latencies @ Linear Scale, CEP, and more;
- NoSQL: Where and How - HBase at Facebook, MongoDB at Guardian.co.uk, and more
NoSQL;
- Software Craftsmanship - Craftsmanship & Engineering, Deliberate Practice,
Leadership, Quality, Learning;
- Functional Web - Node.JS, Haskell, Webmachine, Clojure, Conversational
Web;
- HTML5, the Platform - HTML5 at Facebook, WebSockets, Mobile, Secure browser
OO;
- Future of Java- JVM Languages, Java EE, Spring, OSGi, Virtualization &
Cloud, GC;
- .NET State of the Art - Azure, Rx Async Programming, Code Contracts,
Reflection;
- iOS4 and Android - Advanced iOS4 and Android stuff.