[AccessD] Access and SQL Server

Darryl Collins Darryl.Collins at iag.com.au
Mon Feb 28 16:41:28 CST 2011

Note: This e-mail is subject to the disclaimer contained at the bottom of this message.

 "Are any of your developing full blown ACCESS/SQL Server applications for
clients?  If so what type of an app is it?"

When I was at Coles Group a year or so back I was part of a team of developers that built and maintained a whole suite of custom applications that were built on a common template.  All the apps were based on a template which in turn was based on a SQL Server BE with MS Access FE (mde of course).  We were starting to move any new apps to a web UI and away from MS Access.

Many of these apps were critical for the day to day running of large national retail businesses.  To give you some idea Coles Group is one of Australia's largest retailers with more than 2,600 stores throughout Australia and New Zealand, over 400,000 shareholders and more than 190,000 employees.

My good friend Beny build a complex logistics app, which was used for scheduling all store deliveries based on availablity and type of truck (Some trucks can only fit in certain bays for example, some truck have to be in the cold store etc).  Damn clever with a great UI.

Some of these apps had hundreds of concurrent users 24/7, although many also lead a far less demanding life.

The financial control system I build had about 50 users over a WAN.  It was fast, stable and accurate. Gotta love that :)

The big advantage was even though each application was build for a totally different purpose, it had a common platform and build, which meant that any of the development team could work on it if the main developer was away or busy.

I miss working with SQL Server.  Current role is 100% access based.  Feel a bit left behind to be honest... :-/

cheers
Darryl