[AccessD] How to Trap ?Insert Error? (Duplicate record) caused by Indexed Field (No Duplicates)

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Mon Feb 28 18:57:06 CST 2011

We have an Access table that we want to insert records into (via DoCmd.RunSQL).

We have one field Indexed (No Duplicates).

There is the normal “error handling” set up.

When we ran tests to ensure that the “No Duplicates” on the Indexed Field is working, we were was expecting that the normal error-handling would trap the error. It does not.

If we have “DoCmd.SetWarnings True” Access displays a pop-up message with the error message, but we would like to be able to programmatically trap the error in VBA code.

We want to keep track of how often there is an attempt to insert a duplicate record.  The input data is actually coming from another system.  We know that there will be attempts to insert duplicates, and we know the the "Index (No Duplicates)" will prevent duplicates from being inserted.  We would like to be able to trap the error with VBA code so that we can analyze the number of times that this is happening.

Is there a way to do this?

Is there some other “Status Code” available after an insert to indicate if an insert worked or not (that we can get at with VBA code)?

Thanks,

Brad