[AccessD] Ya know they tell ya to remove power...

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 1 09:55:23 CST 2011

So close...but no problem.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 7:33 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] Ya know they tell ya to remove power...

A "funny" story with a happy ending.

I was working on a new server I am building for doing a VM.  All done,
working well.  I had an iRam
card which is an old card which holds up to 4 gigs of RAM and turns it into
an SATA 1 hard disk.  It
works fine with vista and previous but it does not work with Win7 and 2008
clean installs.
Apparently they just don't have drivers to make it happen.

So I removed the iRam, which was in a PCI slot and I neglected to put the
little metal tab in the
back to cover the hold in the back panel where the card screwed down.

The next day I decided to install an Areca 1220 I had laying around.  The
Areca is a PCI Express
card.  Not watching what I was doing I tried to insert it into the slot
adjacent to the pci express
slot which happens to be PCI.  The computer *turns on* and I start smelling
that sickening smell of
toasted something.  Since I am installing an Areca 1220 I assume that the
toasted something is a
$450 Areca raid controller card.

I quickly yanked the card out and turn the computer back off.  I then
*remove the power*... and
decide what the heck, let's see whether I actually fried the Areca.  Looking
closely at the card I
notice a connector trace on each side burned.  My guess is that these two
traces are shorted
together on the PCI Express but are power / ground on the PCI.

As it turns out the Areca was otherwise undamaged, just a couple of
connector pins seriously
overheated and damaged.  My motherboard wasn't fried.  *Very lucky* all in
all.

Ya know they tell ya to remove power...