[AccessD] The old laptop is slowing down

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Jan 4 13:35:38 CST 2011

That 3.5 gig limit is probably due to your video card.  The 4 gig limit
of 32 bit processing is total RAM, on the MB and used for video.  So if
you have a 512meg video card, it's memory is using an eighth of the
memory naming space, limiting you to 3.5 of your onboard 4 gigs of
memory.

However, most processors bought in the last few years are already 64 bit
processors (just running 32 bit OSes), so if you just do an upgrade,
upgrade to a 64 bit OS, and be able to use the entire 4 gigabytes of on
board memory.  There's several utilities out there that will test your
processor if it's 64 bit capable.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2010 4:52 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] The old laptop is slowing down

 > I moved from Vista to W7 and got a nice bump in  response time. Vista
is such a pig.

Tell me!  I installed Vista on this laptop a couple of years ago and
have hated it ever since.  I
think I will try an upgrade to 2007 just to see if that helps at all.

 >I assume you went through your processes and killed all the
unnecessary ones.  Crap does accumulate.

I do that every 6 months or so.

 >4GB Ram?

It has 4 gigs now.  Unfortunately unknown to me I was sold a laptop with
a chip set that cannot
access more than 3.5 gigs.  Who would suspect such a thing?

On 12/24/2010 1:38 PM, Rocky Smolin wrote:
> I moved from Vista to W7 and got a nice bump in  response time. Vista
is
> such a pig.  I assume you went through your processes and killed all
the
> unnecessary ones.  Crap does accumulate.  4GB Ram?

Is it
> just perception?  Am I accustomed now to remote desktop into faster
machines
> and working in snappier systems?  Is it an accumulation of crap?  Do I
need
> a reinstall?  Maybe a move from Vista to Windows 7, with a clean
install
> along the way?  An SSD?
>
> All I know is that things don't load fast any more.  Even doing
compiles on
> VS 2008 is a "sit and wait" experience.
>
> I think I really need a new quad core Intel (bad John, BAD John!) iXXX
core
> running Windows 7 X64 and 16 gigs of ram, all on a 512 G SSD running
the
> latest Sandforce (who makes up these names?) controller.  It is
Christmas