[AccessD] How can it be

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Jan 8 16:19:42 CST 2011

I have noticed that when I create a VM on my Windows 2008 server with HyperV, the virtual machine's
cpu can be pegged in Task Manager Performance, and yet none of the 8 cores even raises an eyebrow in
task manager inside of Windows 2008 itself.

In Windows 2003 using VMWare, I would see one (or more) of the cores in the server software start
chugging when the VMWare VM started working hard.

Is it because Hyper V assignes the core outside of Windows itself?  IOW Hyper V installs before the
Windows software itself does.  Is it actually assigning CPU cycles for one or more cores "outside
of" Windows.  If so is there a utility to see the actual core usage in Hyper V itself?