[AccessD] Password Problem

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Tue Jan 18 09:29:52 CST 2011

Dear List:

This is a legacy app that the client asked me to put a password on the back
end.  He also wants to be able to change the back end password from time to
time.  So I gave him instructions on how to do that.

However, after the password is changed the bound forms error out with an
invalid password.  If I go to the database container and try to open a
linked table in datasheet view I get 'Not a Valid Password'.

If I delete the table links and relink the table, all is OK.  But I cannot
refresh the links with the Linked Table Manager in Tools-->Database
Utilities.

There is relinking code but relinking to the existing back end doesn't clear
up the problem.  In fact, the relinking code does not prompt for the
database password.

The table links apparently have the old password in there somehow.  So I'm
missing a step here.  Obviously I don't want the user to have to delete the
table links and relink.

What am I missing?

MTIA

Rocky Smolin