[AccessD] Moving to .Net (was Ded Moroz sends you ...)

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jan 3 15:35:54 CST 2011

Hi Jim

That is not so. The big advantage you have, is that you know about databases which makes a lot of decisions easy for you, where the inexperienced .Net programmer will fool around cutting corners, choosing wrong or suboptimal data types, missing referential integrity and so on. When things go wrong (they will, at least in the beginning) you will know that it is not your data model but something else.

By the way, the report designer is something special - with a twist and quite different from Access - but once you get around it, it is very powerful. And for some reason the in-line language of this is VB! This gives some kind of sentimental flashback when you sit writing VB syntax for control sources and other items. The C#-only programmers are not fond of this but do we care? No.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 03-01-2011 21:36 >>>
Hi Shamil:

I think the main reason for the issues with the major migration to .Net is
that many here have hundreds of thousands of field-tested lines of code tied
up in VB/Access and now have to throw out about twenty years of work, to
start again from scratch.

The nearest analogy I can come up with is like having your home destroyed by
war and then while in your late forties, fifties or even sixties and having
to build another life and future from scratch.

It may have to be done but not everyone is happy about it.

Jim