[AccessD] Move to C# - last post

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 4 20:41:35 CST 2011

Hi Dan:

Contract type 1: A set contract is usually a problematic thing. The best you
can do is divide the contract up into separate segments and when each
milestone is reached the client pays up. This always makes the assumption
that, you as the programmer, are going to have a fully function piece of
code at the end of this contract. Usually the last payment is held for a
time until the client is satisfied. This can be dangerous as it is a grey
area where scope creep and the ever present danger of more bugs could
showing up. In the worse case scenarios it ends up with you being out your
last payment, the client upset, feeling there is so much you should and
could be doing to reach their absolute vision...all at no more additional
cost.

Contract type 2: The type of contracts that I usually go for is the
insurance type contracts. This is where a major portion of the development
and payments are made at the start, but a monthly retainer (open ended) is
added at the end of the building phase. In this scenario, the client is
charged a fixed rate, per month and you fix all those little bugs that pop
up as well as add all those items from the out-of scope-project-wish-list.
Sometimes these extended contracts can last from 6 months to as long as 20
years. If this works out well you spend little time at the clients, they
make small continuous payments, they know they are covered and it can work
out to be a very long term friendly relationship.

Contract type 3: The final type of contract tends to be of a size and
complexity that you will have to dedicate a major portion of time and effort
towards completion. It is sort of like a mix of contract type 1 and 2. The
potential customer knows it is going to be an expensive project and you know
it is going to be very time consuming. You can at this point propose a 6
month to a year full-time (employee type) contract. The client provides the
desks and equipment and you provide your services. This way there is not a
huge outlay towards a project and you have time to feel out what the client
really wants and needs and not have to end up making these jumps in faith in
what a sentence of paragraph really means. The project tends to evolve in a
better way.

Now how do you convince your client to agree to this or other type of
contract? Well, just know all the scenarios really well and be able to
present them... I bet when you became a programmer you did not realize that
half your skills sets were going to have be standing up in front of clients
making presentations and selling like a used car salesman.

Jim