[AccessD] Further to "can's see SQL Server database...

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jan 10 08:21:58 CST 2011

Mark,

Thanks (and Charlotte) for that.

I have made good progress since yesterday.  I found a "how to" on the internet which walks you
through step by step.  One of the things it does is walk you through the configuration utility where
you set the TCP/IP protocol and port number, and machine name etc.  Even though you have set the
"allow external access" directly inside of SSMS, apparently you have to do this step I mentioned
above as well.

After I did that I started seeing the machine reliably.  Then I to learn about individual users /
passwords in SQL Server, creating users at the SQL Server install level, then assigning them rights
to specific databases.  I never used any of that because it was just me (an later my programmer
Paul) doing everything here at my office so I just used Windows authentication.  Now I really want
SQL Server authentication it seems.

Last night I created a pair of completely made up user names - LenoirPM and LenoirPMReadOnly and
gave them R/W and RO rights to specifically that database.  After that things worked as expected,
with the exception that I kinda expected them not to be able to see / manipulate the system
databases / tables which they can.

So I am making good progress.

This is a large project because I have to manage pieces completely unrelated to the actual database.
  I am running this on a VM so I had to prepare that.  I am running it over Hamachi so I had to
install that on the VM and get a private network set up just for the client.  I am learning SQL
Server integrated security which I have never touched before.  Somehow I have to test this stuff
from outside of my network.  I am going to try a 2007 run-time, and I have never done a run-time so
I have to learn that.

I am working my way through all the project overhead and finally getting back to actual database
design / implementation.  Because I have so many years experience with it and significantly faster
in it, I am doing the first pass application in Access.  I eventually want to replace that with a C#
app using services for the data, but I just was way too far from capable along that path and have to
get something out for the clients to use.