[AccessD] OT:Old Dog, New Tricks

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jan 11 14:25:09 CST 2011

 > 1. To finally get my Web Page (I designed it over 2 years ago) up and running. It is nothing
fancy but how can I be a credible programmer when I can't direct a client to my Web Page.

When you are done with yours, how about fixing up mine?  ;)

 > 2. Start learning VB.Net. I know some of you favour VB.C+ but I am an old dog and I didn't want
to tackle any thing too foreign.

As I said many times, pick a .net language, *any* language, and get started.  VB.Net is a fine
language, you will love it after not too long.

I would suggest that you take a course at your local college.  This gives you immediate projects to
complete, homework that has to be done, other students to learn with etc.

 > Let me tell you I have been struggling with VB.Net. I am pretty proficient in getting Access to
do what I want. Now I have to learn a whole new bag of tricks. It didn't help that some of the first
tutorials I looked at kept trying to show me how to display "Hello World" on the console.

It is a bit frustrating at first, partly because it is tough to do the database stuff until you get
comfortable with the environment itself.  We all want to start at virtuoso and that definitely ain't
happening with .Net.

If you haven't already, join the vb list.  A lot of the .Net only stuff goes by on that list.