[AccessD] OT:Old Dog, New Tricks - Ferrari's ?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jan 12 12:20:06 CST 2011

Mark,

 > Dot-net is a Ferrari-building tool.

I don't believe that.

 > I think Access builds Chevy's very fine and very quickly.

I do believe that.  Access remains, hands down, the fastest database application builder in
existence. For what it does.  When you hit the wall it is tough to get around the wall.

.Net is not a database application builder.  You are comparing apples to an exotic tropical fruit.

.Net is an application builder which can by the way do databases.  It cannot be directly compared
with Access since they are completely different tools for completely different purposes.

(Virtually) Anything that Access can do (big picture), .Net can do, though it may take a little
longer.  The reverse cannot be said.  When you move to .Net you do so because you want a development
environment that does not have the walls that Access has.

I am not saying that Access is bad, I have used it for many years, earned my living in it for the
last 12 years.