[AccessD] Old Dog NewTricks

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jan 12 21:24:27 CST 2011

 > I think one of the strongest reasons favoring .Net is political.

LOL.  This absolutely does exist.

Having spent the time and effort to begin to learn it, my strongest reason for using .Net is the
power it gives me.  Remember that:

1) I am a programmer, and was a programmer long before I met Access.
2) I have used Access almost exclusively since 1994.
3) I have about 16 months total in C#, and even during that time I have been doing a lot of Access
support.
4) I am a programmer.

C# is a *dream* programming language and .Net is a *dream* environment.

I started learning to program in 1976 in assembler for US Navy Univac machines.  Before coming to
Access in 2004 I programmed in various flavors of Basic, FORTRAN, Prolog, assembler, Turbo Pascal,
Turbo C, dBase . scripting.  It isn't like I haven't been around the block, and it isn't like I am a
C snob who hasn't a clue what Access can do.  I would say I am one of the more capable VBA / Access
developers on this list.  I spent 10 years doing *only* Access and the last 16 months supporting
Access systems while learning and writing .Net systems.

But I am a programmer and I *love* the .Net environment.  I mostly understand OO development, I
understand classes, I mostly understand inheritance, I understand raising and sinking events, I am
rapidly learning threads.  All of that stuff is extremely powerful and most of that stuff simply is
not available in any real sense in VBA.  I stretched the limits of Access, I know what is there and
what isn't.

C# (or VB.Net) / .Net is just a different universe from VBA, and it is a universe that I prefer,
that I enjoy, that I crave.

If you are not a programmer first, if you only really know Access, or if you only want to do small
scale database development, then Access is your tool, and a very fine tool for what it does.  Access
has been my main tool for a long time and I am not saying that it is not killer for what it does.

When I use .Net it is not about being unfaithful to Access.  It is about doing what I love with the
coolest programming tool that I have ever had the enjoyment of using.  I have dreamed of .Net all of
my life and here it is.

And if you can't afford the retail version, C# / VB.net express and SQL Server 2008 express are
free.  Dream tools for absolutely free.  It doesn't get any better than that.