[AccessD] FW: SQL Server over Hamachi: First test not hopeful

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jan 17 07:32:53 CST 2011

Jim,

 >    The wi-fi in a public place is going to vary wildly in terms of quality. <snip>

I understand all of that.

The users are not going to use it on a public wifi as the normal mode, they will be using it from
their home / office, but it will be over Hamachi.  Although one client's users travel from home to
home helping persons with disabilities so they very well might stop in at a local restaurant to do
some data entry.

Citrix is a non starter.  I am moving to C# for everything.  Access is just a short term solution,
to allow three different clients (all non-profit / no-charge) to run for the next 3-6 months while I
learn enough to move the whole shooting match to C# forms / reporting.

They are starting with zero data (literally) brand new system.  Small system, 20 tables / forms,
half of which are tiny list tables.  10 users, each entering a handful of records a day.

The point of the Arby's test was to see how the entire system, from end to end, could perform.  If I
cannot get it to connect or it takes 30 seconds to open any form, and that is the norm, then I need
to stop this track immediately and try something else.  If I can log in quickly and get *bound* list
forms to snap open and entry into those bound list forms to store quickly and smoothly, then I stand
a chance of making this work.

That is *all* the Arby's test was for.  I cannot simply test completely internal to my network and
develop the entire system right down to the last report, then install on a user's system never
having tested over the Hamachi network and pray that it runs.  That would be suicide.

I am perfectly capable of doing JIT subforms, filtering the main form to a single record etc.  I am
capable (with just a little study) of getting Stored procedures accepting a PKID and returning a
recordset.  Just those two strategies should make a tiny Access project fast enough *if* the base
infrastructure is fast enough.