[AccessD] OT: Amazon EC2 as Your Desktop

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Sat Jan 22 17:17:36 CST 2011

Jim --

I have just googled a bit more - there exists a C# code sample also

Exploring GoogleGears Wi-Fi Geo Locator Secrets
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/GoogleGeoLocator.aspx?display=Print

So now they have got captured a MAC address to WiFi spot (static) relation,
and they have got saved that relation in their DBs, they can watch if that
MAC ever "travels" somewhere or not.

Because of the fact that MAC address is sent within Ethernet Packet

(How network works - MAC-address and IP-address relationship.
http://www.laneye.com/network/how-network-works/mac-address-and-ip-address-r
elationship.htm )

it's not a heavy technical task to setup special hardware, which will record
all MAC addresses getting through wires to a certain server/web site etc.
and if they know who owns a certain PC/Laptop/... with a certain MAC they
can (in theory) record (most of) Internet activity of a certain person...

Just wondering: additionally to Google we have here our local search
provider http://yandex.ru and they have their own maps service
http://maps.yandex.ru/ with very similar to GoogleMaps features, and they
have similar to Google "Photomachines", which I guess do collect WiFi ???
addresses and spots locations...

Just out of curiousity I will try to check later next week am I "hooked" by
google or not using sample C# code I referred above.

I will probably not find how to query our local "special GEO location
service" to see am I "hooked" by them or not...

They have also announced here that by year 2014 every car here *should* be
equipped by this country own global satellite net's GEO location units -
similar to usual GPS devices but bigger in size :) This local satellite
network is called GLONASS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLONASS)...

Thank you.

--
Shamil