[AccessD] Delete query... fast ... deleting from datasheet view ... slow

William Benson (VBACreations.Com) vbacreations at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 11:02:58 CDT 2011

Good news, I could get back to VBA by trying to press Ctrl-G as fast as I
could while also pressing Enter . apparently there was just enough split-sec
pause between "unrecognized database format" prompts - so that after about
50 tries I got into the VBA window and could do a Save before entering
Application.Quit, which killed the application as desired.

Then even though Access was no longer running, I could not open the database
again. Was getting a message that user admin had left it in a state which it
could not longer be opened or locked. I was like "huh? So I went to the temp
folder and tried to either rename or delete the temp database found in there
and couldn't mess with that either! So I rebooted my machine and then I
could get into the database again (Thank God).

But this is a continual problem for me when deleting large numbers of
records .. even if I click No (do not continue without undo) I get a message

   You tried to commit or rollback a transaction without first beginning a
transaction.

I say OK to that, then the message is

    The changes you made can't be saved due to the temporary locking of the
records by another user.

Eh, come again? What user? Then I say OK to that then I get

   You tried to commit or rollback a transaction without first beginning a
transaction.

Again.

Then I click OK, and sometimes that's the end of things, and sometimes it's
just the beginning of my troubles.

Painful.