[AccessD] Max of 20 values

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 09:40:19 CDT 2011

Excellent questions, all.

Here, as briefly as I can make it, is the scenario. There is an object
called a workstation. It may have up to 4 LightCurtains (these devices shoot
beams of light from Right to Left and detect the interruption of said beam
by any object, typically an operator's hand. Upon detection, the machine
must shut down within several milliseconds; a typical measurement would be
220. The Safety Engineer tests this by inserting his hand into the gap
between sender and receiver, then measures the Shutdown Time. He does this
20 times.

Although one would have to be an idiot to record M1 then M17 then M2 then
M20, the current implementation does not prevent this idiocy.

The measures are taken on a subform. The MaxReading exists on the parent
form. That part I've got already.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for here; perhaps basically a defense
against entering M1 then M10 then M11 then M20. Chances are that the user
would not do this, but I feel the need to protect against it.

Further, there are a maximum of 4 LCs (call them N, S, W, E) and in addition
4 Two-Handed-Controls (THCs, in the lingo), each of which has up to 20
Measurements.

So I'm looking for a clean and elegant way to:

a) prevent you entering Measure 3 without having entered Measure 2.
b) to grab the value of the most recently entered Measurement and compare it
against the MaxReading so far recorded.

I have b) solved. a) is another matter, and I have no idea how to handle it,
except perhaps by forcing the focus to the next M# in the AfterUpdate event.
There has got to be something slicker than that, I just know it.

A.