[AccessD] Article on upgrading

Rusty Hammond rusty.hammond at cpiqpc.com
Thu Jul 28 13:52:45 CDT 2011

Just off the top of my head:

- Do they have network stability issues (ie computers losing
connections, slow internet connection speeds, etc...)  If so, if they
think they need to go to SQL because the database is slow or the backend
keeps getting corrupt, it may be they need to invest in the network and
moving to SQL won't be required.

- What kind of machine is the backend hosted on currently?  Maybe an
upgrade to that machine, or putting the backend on a more robust machine
will take care of any issues.

- Are they running a frontend/backend setup currently?  Splitting up the
database to a frontend and backend and putting copies of the frontend on
each user computer may alleviate issues they may currently be having.

- Is user level security becoming a requirement?  Access security is
easy to break and, if I remember correctly, non-existent in Access 2007
and 2010

- Using multiple versions of Access on your network to run your
frontend?  I've seen issues pop-up when different versions are hitting a
backend and causing slowness and corruption in the backend.  Moving to a
SQL backend took care of the issues.

- If they move to SQL, do they have a server?  If not, a robust pc on a
peer-to-peer network (Express only)?  If not, are they willing to invest
in one?

- Are they hesitant to move to SQL because of cost?  SQL Express is
free.

- Are they anticipating a lot of growth?  Might be wise to make the move
to SQL now so they aren't having to scramble to upgrade later.

Rusty