[AccessD] 2 quick questions

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed Jun 1 10:06:17 CDT 2011

I think I am going to throw my hat into the ring here.

First, Arthur, if you are going to argue Codd's relational theories as
being 'law', instead of THEORY, then shouldn't you be arguing that we
should be using Dataphor, instead of discussing how we are using systems
not conforming to his theory, in ways that also don't conform to his
theories?

Secondly, the idea of intelligent keys crosses one VERY important line.
Computers do not THINK like humans.  The line being crossed is trying to
make a computer store and retrieve data the way a human thinks it should
be stored and retrieved.

Let's take your spark plug example.

Batch - Lot - Item

What's the difference between 01-001-0001 and 0001-0001-0001.  To a
human, both of those are the same, it's still batch 1, lot 1, and item
1.  To a computer, they are two completely separate values.  Granted,
you can make logic, to 'format' your intelligent key 'properly', but
doesn't it make more sense to have logic to PRESENT an 'intelligent' key
to the user, instead of using that 'intelligent key' in the system
itself?  The reason there is a line between how a computer works, and
how a human works, is because both groups 'think' differently.  So
calling a string of characters an 'intelligent key' for a computer is
just as absurd as expecting a human to respond to their name display in
binary (from Unicode characters).

Drew