[AccessD] New to ADPs

newsgrps newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Sun Jun 12 15:45:03 CDT 2011

John,

I am not sure if there is an automatic conversion tool but you can
create a new ADP and import your forms, reports, macros, modules into
it.  Queries will not import because ADP's show the SQL views and
stored procedures.  Tables also all come from SQL (no local Access tables).

When an ADP is opened in Access there is a Connection item in the
File Menu.  This is used for setting up the connections to an SQL database.

All record sources for forms, reports, combos etc will need to be
written as stored procedures, views or tables - no local queries.

New form properties for Unique Table, Resync Command, and Input
Parameters are used to make sure the correct data is retrieved.

Books I found helpful (they are pretty old now but are still relevant) were:

SQL: Access to SQL Server (Harkins and Reid)
Microsoft Access Developers Guide to SQL Server (Chipman and Baron)
Access 2002 Enterprise Developers Handbook (Litwin, Getz and Gunderloy)

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd
New Zealand