[AccessD] OT: Shopping for a new comp

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jun 14 09:48:24 CDT 2011

LOL.  And if we are not Jedi, then who is?

 > Many sites think that the i7 proc from Intel is the current best performance, and the i7 950 is
not so expensive now (approx $190)

And this is absolutely true.  i7 is a high end proc with high end power, and I would love to own
one.  My biggest issue is that for some reason Intel screws around with sockets.  I must admit I
never spent the time to truly figure it out but there are sockets LGA1155, LGA1156 and LGA1366.  To
my knowledge processors that use LGA1155 will not run in LGA1156 etc.  So when doing the Intel thing
one needs to select the processor, select the motherboard to match and then if you want a processor
that uses the next socket up... start all over.

With AMD you select a MB with the highest level socket (more recent motherboards) and then drop in
any of their (recent) processors.  It truly is that easy.

That is why I suggested the AM3+ socket because that is the latest and greatest socket and yet the
older processors will work just fine in that socket.  But when the new bulldozers come along you can
drop in one of those and off you go.  Maybe with a bios upgrade but probably the bios is already set
to work with bulldozer since the bulldozer is already available to the bios manufacturers.

So for my money, AMD is just easier for the novice builder to get going and to upgrade later.