[AccessD] Image Control Problem

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:32:29 CDT 2011

I've got a poser.  I've built a photo indexing application.  It displays the jpg file in an image control and allows the user to assign certain attributes that make the picture retrievable using a search form.

I've noticed that Access 2003 balks at jpgs above a certain size.  I have a jpg at a bit over 9 megabytes that Access tells you is too large to load.  I've recently had a few users complain that the images don't load in the indexing form.  It turns out that most of these images are near 5 megabytes.  What's interesting is, on my screen, when I click the next and previous buttons, every 2nd image loads starting from the first.  IE, image001.jpg, image003.jpg, image003.jpg, image005.jpg.  If I copy image001 and name the copy image000.jpg, still every 2nd image loads, but this time, it's all the alternate images that didn't load the first time.  IE, image000.jpg, image002.jpg, image004.jpg, image006.jpg.  Nothing about the file changes.

On other folders where the pictures are smaller, all the images load correctly.  I logged into another terminal running a higher resolution, and none of the images loaded.  The terminal I'm stuck on is the lowest resolution we have.  Is anyone aware of some kind of image control limitation, and why the bizarre 'every 2nd image' behavior?

Ideally, I'd like all the pictures to load correctly and I'd hate to have to tell everyone to dial their new digital cameras down to 2 megapixels.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com