[AccessD] Refreshing open forms when something changes

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jun 21 10:17:32 CDT 2011

 >   That actually doesn't happen too often in Windows, but the way John is doing it, that always
happens.

Not true.  My form broadcasts an event.  If none of the other forms which need to receive the
message is open then nothing receives the message.  My usage is precisely the same as windows.
Raise an event when something happens and who cares who is receiving it.

My code does (in this case) use a single "channel" for all messages but that is not a requirement.
I could quite easily have a collection of global message classes keyed on a name.  Then sets of
things could use a common "channel".  In the end, there is so little message traffic that it makes
no sense to worry about it.

If you think about it, windows has several "channels".  It has mouse events, keyboard events, disk
events and so forth.

I just happened to create a class which emulates an email.  That was a useful model with the "from,
To, Subject and Msg" parameters since it allowed me to easily set up filters on the messages so that
processes could be targeted on a single "channel".

Nothing says you have to use a single channel though.  The nice thing about classes is that you can
create 0 to N instances of them.  ;)