[AccessD] Refreshing open forms when something changes

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jun 22 15:41:08 CDT 2011

Hear, hear.

> A. I don't use classes for the most part with Access.  Without full
> inheritance, I don't think it's worth the effort.  I can (for the most
> part) achieve the functionality of classes without the overhead of
> dealing with them.

Apart from the lack of inheritance, the other problem with Access is the single interface.

>   So I see the need for the functionality it provides, but I don't
>   implement
> it in that way.  The way I have implemented that is through a specific
> class and middle tier business objects. It goes back to the comment I
> made about objects registering/unregistering for services.

The way I implement this in other environments is using an event interface or interfaces in
the server object (in this case the form where the changes are made)  and have client
objects subscribe to that interface.   The I can raise a specific event when a control changes
or whatever on an appropriate interface and the objects which subscribe to it receive and act
on the event.

Just a few extra lines of code. No need for the kludge of a special class when WIndows
already provides a message pump.