[AccessD] Rocky - computer build

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Thu Jun 23 08:05:08 CDT 2011

Done!  We had a problem with the thing just NOT starting - no post screen -
nothing.  The fans powered up, HD turned, DVD lit.  So we knew there was
power to the mobo.

Finally figured out we had left off one important connection to the
motherboard - the CPU power connector from the PS - guy a Fry's helped us
with that.  Felt pretty dumb. But the mobo installation instructions left
out that step. :)

He ended up with the AMD Phenom II Black - hexacore @ 3.2GHz, 8GB 1333 RAM,
1TB HDD, MSI 870U-G55 motherboard, GTX 560Ti graphics card that dims the
lights in the house when it fires up, and a 600W PS.

The chip has some function on it where it will reduce itself from 6 to 3
cores and up the speed to 3.4GHz.  It's also set up to overclock easily.

It took three trips to Fry's to get the job done, but he's happier than a
pig in dirt.  Busted his budget - I gave him $600 - he figured to get there
for $700.  Probably be closer to $850 when the dust settles.

One thing he hadn't counted on was the OS - my copy of W7 Ultimate would not
load for some reason on his machine - says key invalid. :(

So he put 64-bit XP on for the moment and will upgrade when he gets some
dough saved up.

Does anyone have a cheap source for W7?

TIA

Rocky