[AccessD] Printing Issue

jm.hwsn jm.hwsn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:45:42 CDT 2011

Sorry this is so long.
Access 2007, Windows XP
I have a complex database with 71 tables, 450 queries, 118 forms, 58 reports
and 195 modules.
This database is self contained, there are no linked tables except when I
temporarily link to an Excel spreadsheet to import data.
It is a psychological questionnaire which will be used by a training
organization to assist with lowering the attrition rate for their students.
When fully deployed there will be approximately 450 students (every 2 or 3
months) answering the questionnaire and getting feedback on their strengths
and improvement areas.

I have four levels of security: student, cadre (instructors, supervisors,
unit administrator, researcher, researcher admin and IT admin).
Everything works except for one thing.  In the researcher and above levels,
I have a pop-up form to print the questionnaire.
When I attempt to print I get an ambiguous response:
"Microsoft Office Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience."
I click "don't send" it shuts down, creates a new copy and opens the new
copy.

If I open the form by itself, the report prints as it should. If I use the
user interface to open the report I get the above message.
>From the splash screen, a login form (which stays open all the time) is
opened and is used to determine the security level of the user.
The appropriate user interface is then opened. On the Researcher interface a
button opens the print menu form.

The questionnaire consists of several sections.  Each section could have
several different types of questions (different sub forms) or it could be
one type of question.  Each section has a separate report.  The current
questionnaire has 13 active sections. It's designed to have a maximum of 20.
In the code behind the print button, I open a record set, and loop through
each section and then print the appropriate report.

What I've tried to solve the problem:
Changed the record set from a saved query to a SQL string
Decompiled - recompiled
Compacted and repaired.
Created a new database and imported all the objects from the old one and
then reconfigured the new file.
Created a new database and imported all objects except the offending form.
compacted/repaired.. Decompiled/compiled. imported a copy of the form.
Deleted the form from the database and imported a copy from a previous
version

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.
Any suggestions?

MTIA