[AccessD] Access and SQL Server

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Mar 3 15:14:21 CST 2011

 >    So I guess we'll just have to leave it then that one of us is educated and the other not;
wonder which one that is?

ROTFL.

That would be you.  I have a high school education and some hours of community college.

Life is strange sometimes.  Circumstances didn't align for me getting a degree.  My wife has one
though, does that count?

So, we have established who is the educated one.

But I have read the books; I just strictly differentiate between academics and real world.

And I have made my living in designing databases since 1994.  It has been a good living.  And I have
made a living learning and writing applications in numerous programming languages.  And I read
virtually every day to stay abreast of what I need to know to do my job well.

So let's just say I know your terms, I understand your terms, and I could care less about your
terms.  So whip out the "I'm educated" thing on someone else 'cause it doesn't do a thing for me.

And by the way you still are not telling us (and Microsoft) what we are supposed to call this ...
uh... hm... I don't know what to call it now...

you know... the autoincrement field used as a pointer between tables thingie.  Man that just sounds
so... uneducated.  ;)

Believe me I *do* want to know so that I can avoid the next peeing match.  I will try to insert your
favorite name for this object in the discussion from here on out.

Just an FYI, I really do know and understand normalization.  I really do know and understand
candidate keys.  I really do search for a candidate key to cover with a unique index to enforce data
uniqueness.  I really do understand multi-field primary keys.  I made an ... well... I hesitate to
call it... an "educated" decision to *not* use them in favor of the ...

here we go again... that autoincrement field used as a pointer between tables thingie.

You don't know how sad it makes me to know I can no longer tell people I make "educated" decisions.  8(