[AccessD] DB Design Question - too much normalization?

Charlotte Foust charlotte.foust at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:24:17 CDT 2011

I always used a separate "phone table" with a field that described the
type, including fax.  It was bound to the address table and the person
ID to allow for multiple phone numbers.  I used a default of zero in
the Person ID when the number only applied to an address and was
non-specific to a person.  Of course, that required a 0 Person ID in
the table describing the person, but I always did that anyhow to allow
for complex keys and unavailable information.  I also had a field in
the Address table that described type, so that it could cover a
business address or a personal address.  If needed, I had a one-to-one
table for additional address information peculiar to a particular
type.  Since zip codes can belong to multiple cities or even to
buildings, and cities can have multiple zip codes, I gave up on those
and just stored them with the address.  The USPS has zip code files,
but unless you need to validate to the street address level, I
wouldn't bother.

Charlotte Foust