[AccessD] Browser wars...

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Mar 24 14:59:46 CDT 2011

Now open task manager and click on processes.  Sort image name A>Z.

Open 10 copies of IE.  Open 10 copies of Firefox.  I use Google.com as the home page for both.

Just observe the number and sizes of the instances of both programs.

Close all the instances of both.

Open Firefox and then open msnbc.com in the first tab.  I use MSNBC.com simply because it is a
fairly "heavy" site.  Now open five tabs inside of that firefox instance and open msnbc.com in each tab.

Do the same with IE.

Observe task manager, specifically observe the number of instances of each program and observe the
memory used for each instance in task manager.

I simply suggest this test because there is more to a browser than the java engine it uses.

One of the reasons I switched to Firefox was that (back in the day) I was running a laptop with a
half gig of memory.  I multitask and I was hitting the swap file all the time.  What I discovered
was that with a bunch of stuff open, IE was sitting at 400 megs of RAM.  When I tried Firefox it
would use a hundred megs.  It seems both have gotten "fatter" in the years since.