[AccessD] 'Hidden' form question & Excel 2010 question

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 28 11:04:22 CDT 2011

Hi Janet:

If the tables are within the application they must be hidden as a different
named object. Check to see if all objects are being displayed (tools >
options > view).

Another trick is the move the database so far off the viewing area that it
is no longer visible...check as far right as possible. You can try and force
the database to expose itself by attempting to link to it by running the
link-manager etc...

Check to see if there is an autoexec macro that does obscuring when the DB
is opened and then the Unhide command is turned off or the windows display
can be turned off via a API call...Anything can be done once a autoexec
macro is run.

Go into Tools > startup and make sure the option "Display Database window"
is checked.

It is most likely one of these tricks to hide or obscure the database as
getting too fancy with renaming can crash the system.

One thing to check is if the Disable Shift Key option have been invoked so
just holding down the shift key when opening the DB will not allow you to
gain access to the DB before the autoexec macro is run. There are a number
of little apps out there that can toggle this feature off and on.

This of course is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg as there can be all
sorts of protection schemes within the code to monitor changes in an objects
properties. Some developers spend almost as long writing protection as
writing the app and it can take even an experienced programmer a couple of
hours to remove.

HTH

Jim