[AccessD] Store accdr File Locally or on a File Server?

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Sun May 1 21:26:05 CDT 2011

All,

Background – Small firm, approximately 25 PCs.

Currently no change control software, but we could put together something to do this.

We have an Access 2007 application that has a Front End that is about 20 MB.

We have set up a folder for each user on the file server so that each user can have their own copy of the Front End.

We are debating whether we should store the Front End in each of the Users’ Folders on the File server or store the Front End on the local PC’s hard drive.

Storing the Front End on the file server simplifies our procedures to release new versions, but it appears to takes several seconds to initiate the application when it is stored on the file server.

Storing the Front End on the local PC’s hard drive would reduce the application initiation time, but this approach would result in more complicated procedures when new versions of the application Front End are released.

Is there any “Rule of Thumb” to consider in this decision (such as “any accdr over X MB should be stored locally”).

Are there other issues that we need to keep in mind?

Thanks,
Brad