[AccessD] Store accdr File Locally or on a File Server?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon May 2 23:00:47 CDT 2011

Hi John:

Hmmm, I see your concerns.

The FE is not running from the RAM disk it is just loading from it and that
is quite a different thing. In most cases the FE, loads once a day, maximum.
The actual package runs on the individual stations. Of course the FE is
locked on the server when someone is working on it and so it should be.

I have had this working for years, on a product that was originally designed
in Access97 so that dates it. :-)

The only problem that the script had to resolve was when there are two
people trying to grab the FE from the server at the same time. Then the code
would wait a couple of seconds and tries again and keeps looping until
resolution or until 10 tries and then it fall through and it then fails. (I
used a piece of code from the original Norton's command apps called WAIT.)
Under normal conditions I have never had a failure.

But for some reason I have never used it with another client...the speed of
transfer from today's servers has always been more than acceptable to the
clients. It always does take a few moments for the user to actually log on
to the MS SQL Server data source anyway.

Jim