[AccessD] Should I use Attachments?

Darrell Burns dhb at flsi.com
Sat May 14 19:32:30 CDT 2011

New subject: my client wants to link PDF documents to records in an Asset
table in an A2007 app. The attachment data type is perfect for what I want
to do, but I've heard bad things about it. I know one caveat is that it's
not backward-compatible. I've also heard that it's a performance drag. (I
tried using OLE fields in A2000 a few years ago and quickly abandoned that
approach). The Asset table would range from a few hundred to a couple
thousand records per client. I'll be deploying the app as a runtime.

I'd be interested in hearing the pros & cons of attachments.

Thanx,
DB