[AccessD] Needed - Manufacturing System for small firm with limited budget

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Wed May 18 13:07:02 CDT 2011

All,

I work part-time as the solo IT person for a small manufacturing company
(less than 50 employees).

Currently the manufacturing process is controlled by a home-grown
"system" that has evolved over the years.  This system is based on paper
forms and spreadsheets.  The current process gets the job done, but has
many shortcomings.

Recently, discussions have begun regarding the need for improvements.
The budget for software purchases is VERY limited, so bringing in
something like Sage's MAS-90 is currently out of the question.  (We use
Sage's Business Works for general accounting).

One option being discussed is to build new functionality with Access
2007 to augment the current process.

With all of this as background, here are my questions...

Are there any good, yet inexpensive manufacturing systems available for
small firms?

Are there any "Access Templates" available for manufacturing firms?

I believe that building a small manufacturing system more or less from
scratch would be a very time consuming project.  I would rather not
re-invent the wheel if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help and insights.

Brad