[AccessD] [Spam]8.31 Re: 2 quick questions

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Fri May 27 09:35:00 CDT 2011

>>> "Darrell Burns" <dhb at flsi.com> 5/26/2011 3:53 P >>>
Hi John.
Basic rule of database design...don't use intelligent keys. In other words,
a key that may change over time (eg, Joe gets adopted and changes his
surname) or may be incorrect (eg, Joe's birthday was entered as 49 instead
of 94), or could be duplicated (Joe's twin sister Joelle would have the same
key). I deal with name/address data all the time and I always create a
unique sequential number (eg, Access's Autonumber) as a customer ID. You may
want to create a Lookup key, such as the one you proposed, which can be
indexed and used for searching. On a fairly small database, you can build an
index on the full lastname+firstname+DOB.

*** You bring up good points, but this is all the info I have to work with. But, I will probably change to include more of the first name, and maybe even the last name too.

*** I do use the autonumber in the table; I am just using this one for searching and tracking purposes.

*** If '49 was entered for the birthday it would kick it out, because the person is too old for the survey. But, I understand your point, and in my case it is a minimal risk of error...there is immediate feedback on age, so it would probably stick out, if it weren't close. And, I may build in some validation features as well.

*** the adoption...or change of use of MI...did occur to me, but I really don't have many other options.

And the DOB should always be in
YYYYMMDD order.
*** Why? Seriously...I am not challenging your claim, but I'd really like to learn about this. What does the order really matter? It isn't a big deal to change this, but before I do things like this I like to know why...so w/I am asked I don't just confess to being a blind follower.

As for the full-screen forms, go into Access options (big fat button in
upper left corner, then small button on bottom of dialog), select Current
Database, then check "Overlapping Windows". At the individual form level,
there's a property called "Fit to screen"...make sure it's set to No.
*** Thank you...I did not know this and it was driving me nuts.

HTH,
Darrell

-----