[AccessD] Q&Q

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 13:55:24 CDT 2011

I think that I'm going back to Ludy's Piano Sonatas this afternoon. Sure
beats TV! Three major hits. Well actually I got sidetracked momentarily by
Opera. I'm at this moment listening to Luciano Pavarotti and I understand
that young girls your age don't get it, and that's ok, I get it, and it's
lonely out here but I can deal with it. Despite popular tastes, opera and
string quartets live! Beyond their 200-year time-spans. Yes I love various
groups such as Stones and Talking Heads and Clash, but taking the Long
Picture, how many of their tunes are going to be played in 100 years?
That's the basic definition of classic music, like it or not.

One cannot predict the future, one can only guess. That admitted, here are
some of my guesses, of music that will be played in 2013.

1. M2O: Miss America. That record will live on and on and on and on.
2. The Beatles: The White Album. That's the best record they ever did.
3. Miles Davis: Kind of Blue. With his transcription of "Concierto de
Aranjuez" he got all the love and sorrow all perfectly right.
4. Uakti: Mapa and several subsequent CDs. This trio from Brazil is
probably my favourite world-music group.
5, Swapan Chauduri, IMO the best tabla player that I have ever heard. In
the company of G.S. Sachdev, this is music to die for.