[AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY moreexpensive

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 14 22:49:12 CST 2011

I second that thought.

The only reason I was holding on to MS was because of their MS Access
product, which at the time of its creation had a more than adequate DB, an
excellent user interface and had a great reporting engine.

It appears now that the product is become more crippled, as MS is no longer
willing or able to provide sufficient resources to keep their product stable
or able to handle the current data requirements. That is really too bad as
MS Access is being allowed to die.

MS has had two things going for it. One, a great application platform and
two, a great Office application to run on that platform.

Microsoft is now being hit from two directions.

One, Linux has always been a very stable server product but now the same can
be said for their desktops, add to that low cost Open Office products. When
we come to database support for Linux this is where you hit the mother lode.
There are numerous DBs of every size and complexity and many of them are
very mature and have excellent interfaces and companion development
applications.

Two, Web based applications. That market is just starting but it will not be
long before every application you can find on a desktop will be able to be
found in a web-based alternative. MS unfortunately, dropped the ball on
this. At one point, they held almost 90 percent of the browser market but
due to neglect, like in Access, they have lost that market too. (IE use is
now below 50 percent and it is dropping at half a percent a month.)

I hope this is not depressing anyone but I see the market opening up with so
many great opportunities but Microsoft products will just become one of a
few supported product lines and not the only one.

Jim