[AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY moreexpensive

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Tue Nov 15 01:28:52 CST 2011

Jim, John at all,

That's is an interesting discussion.
But did you ever try to compare development and support costs of

MS SQL + .NET vs. mySQL + ...?

I must note I know almost nothing about Linux development tools, but I have worked in the past for a long time on IBM360/370 and PDP11 RSX-11M so JCL, command line,  and macro-assembler (especially great for IBM360/370) and PL./1 and and pure C or C++ or Pascal development with file systems or network (CODASYL)  or relational databases without rich backend-level data definition and manipulation tool - I have my own experience to evaluate how much time all that development takes...

.Now take

C# 4.0 (VS2010) + MS SQL with T-SQL with SPs and UDF vs. mySQL + ...

- wouldn't MS SQL license costs be covered manifold by higher Linux development and support costs?

And I'm not talking/meaning Web site development  where becoming standards HTML5 + CSS3 + JavaScript would make Windows and Linux development and support costs comparable(?) I'm talking about development of desktop custom business applications...

Thank you.

-- Shamil