[AccessD] Access 2010 Deployment (cross posted)

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Tue Nov 15 06:48:47 CST 2011

 Ah, I see your point now.

 I always think of the runtime as something I distribute along with the
package wizard.  Not something a end-user would download directly on their
own and execute.  In fact I always thought it used your copy of Access as a
base and didn't include Access per say on it's own.  The "runtime" was just
the package and deployment tools.

 In looking at the distributions, it looks like it may include a copy of
Access (it's 202MB and I doubt the deployment tools alone would be that
much), but it doesn't look like it's kept up to date as there is an SP1 for
the runtime.

 Given that, the assumption would be that it's a RTM (Released to Mfg)
version and then once installed, it relies on Windows Update to bring it up
to snuff.  But it could be the SP1 is simply for the deployment tools.

 I'll try and dig into a little more if I can find some time.   I consider
myself fortunate that I have done no development with 2010 and very little
with 2007, so I haven't had to deal with the issues.

Jim.