[AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY moreexpensive

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Nov 15 16:59:30 CST 2011

Shamil,

In fact I believe that seat licensing is very reasonable with Microsoft.  AFAICT the per seat is
about $200 for Windows AND SQL Server, and that is a onc time cost, or probably a once every 4 or 5
years if they force you to get new CALs on some new revision of the software.

in my opinion, that is just a reasonable cost for licensing a SQl Server.  It does have to be
budgeted for however.  For example for this new server they need around 40 CALs which is $8K plus
some fixed "server license" fees.  That is a lump sum check that has to be written.  If they just
put that in the bank over 4 or 5 years they would be fine.

I am not convinced that TCO as you describe it is huge on Linux / MySQL.  I have a linux server that
sits in the corner and runs.  My TCO for that was $120 plus an old server system.  If Access can
talk through ODBC to MySQL then a conversion to MySQL would be reasonably priced.  Yes there is a
learning curve but still there are no or low recurring fees.  Can .Net on client machines run
against MySQL?  I would bet so.  Can I run VMs on Linux for things that have to run on Windows?
What has to run on Windows?

It isn't dead simple but you do get off the endless licensing treadmill with Microsoft.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it